Friday, April 30, 2010

A Comprehensive List of Why 3D Should Go Away

Roger Ebert, like me, is thoroughly against the idea of 3D films. I have posted several times on the subject, and, although I don't want to appear as if I am ranting or whining, Mr. Ebert has released a great list of why 3D is so bad for the motion picture industry and audiences everywhere:

1. It's the waste of a dimension.
2. It adds nothing to the experience.
3. It can be a distraction.
4. It can create nausea and headaches.
5. Have you noticed that 3-D seems a little dim?
6. It's an excuse to buy new digital projectors.
7. Theaters slap on a surcharge of $5 to $7.50 for 3-D.
8. I cannot imagine a serious drama in 3-D (neither can I).
9. Whenever Hollywood has felt threatened, it has turned to technology to save the day.

Amen, brother! Check out a list of explanations for each of his excellent points at Newsweek.

2 comments:

blu_jean_girl said...

I agree, I HATE 3D.
It's wierd but it always makes me feel like my right eye is getting sucked into the back of my head when I watch a 3D movie. Not very fun let me tell you! It took a good half hour for me to be able to open my eyes during "Avatar".
I think there's something wrong with my brain.

Anonymous said...

SO TRUE!

I hate it :( When there was news of Disney Pixar 'UP' that also got 3D, I wonder why. The reasons why I love Disney and Disney Pixar movies are because of the story, the character development, the depth of the story and how it could give you warm feelings inside. Not the technology.